Who should issue the certificate?

This is debatable depending on who is issuing such. Addsure is of the view that either the Insurer (principal) or the insurer’s agents (Underwriting manager or insurance intermediary) should be the recognised issuer of such certificates.  Some managing agents “confirm” cover and charge for the administration of confirming, providing copies of policies and corresponding and some request the certificates from the insurer / underwriting manager  or insurance intermediary and “mark-up” the cost. This is acceptable practice as the managing agent is, if requested to provide information, entitled to charge a service fee. The managing agent is in the business of administration and management and do need to earn a fee. We are of the opinion that costs / fees should be transparent and the client should know and understand what he or she is paying for.